Change is necessary, be it in lifestyle, technology, or software development trends. And undoubtedly you can see the changes in enterprise software development at a rapid pace. With the 2020 pandemic, there has been development in everything be it how we order food or run our business.
Software engineering is also developing from its frameworks, architectures, methodologies, languages, and other components. Year by year there’s improvement in the aspects which makes it grow successfully. Every enterprise is looking for custom web software development to stay ahead of the competition.
Do you know? According to Statista, the IT industry has spent $426 billion on enterprise software in the year 2020, and it is expected to reach $517 billion in 2021.
But before you move ahead with the custom software development solutions, you need to know about the 8 biggest enterprise software development trends.
Table of contents:Enterprise Software Development Trends for 2021
1. The rise of the Intelligence of Things (IoT) 2. Involvement of Artificial Intelligence 3. Progressive web applications (PWAs) and Hybrid applications 4. Critical Cyber Security over Data Breach 5. Immersive experiences gain popularity 6. low code platforms – an emerging trend 7. 5G is reinventing the network 8. Run cost as architecture fitness function
Enterprise Software Development Trends for 2021
Staying updated with the trends helps you be ahead of your competition in the market. These eight trends are related to IoT, AI, hybrid apps, cybersecurity, 5G internet, etc. Let’s read about them in detail.
1. The rise of the Intelligence of Things (IoT)
After IoT was first coined to the world in 1999 by Kevin Ashton, it has kept on evolving. Its existence dates back to the 70s. However, the important point is how much it has been involved in today’s lifestyle.
People are opting for smart homes along with smartphones. All this is because of artificial intelligence. It is a key component that is indispensable in daily life and is prevalent everywhere from the automotive industry to agriculture. Expect the shift from the Internet of Things to Intelligence of Things!
Here are just a few examples of IoT’s many use cases:
- The vehicle also uses IoT. With the IoT-connected vehicle, you can make in-car payments, autonomous driving, enabling remote software updation, and dinner table booking on the way.
- The 2020 pandemic made us take education online. IoT promotes a safe education process with social distancing which is possible with the help of laptops, smartphones, and tablets.
- IoT helps in tracking and managing the assets and equipment in real-time, which ultimately improves the efficiency and transparency of the management process.
- Devices that are connected to the equipment can be utilized for predictive analysis of the equipment.
- We have many smartwatches and IoT-enabled devices that help in tracking health and warn or send alerts to the doctor in the event of deterioration. The records stored in those devices can be helpful in treating a patient further. Thus, IoT also plays an important role in the remote healthcare industry.
2. Involvement of Artificial Intelligence
As we said above artificial intelligence has made the IoT grow even more effectively. Artificial intelligence is something that can analyze vast data, and make decisions like human-mind whenever necessary and based on its outcomes.
Few of the AI capabilities like machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing can be deployed in the business at any point in time. Most of the business industry opt for AI. What’s the reason? It’s the deployment of advanced and highly tailored solutions across different industries.
Whether your business is in retail, wholesale, logistics, healthcare, or any other industries the acceptance of AI. It enables personalized experience and solutions for the customers, streamlines project management, boosts productivity, and much more.
3. Progressive web applications (PWAs) and Hybrid applications
Till now, you might have either opted for a web app or a mobile app. But what if we say you can have both with added benefits. Seems like a dream, right? That’s what Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are!
PWAs are similar to native apps that can send push notifications even when offline, but it is also linkable (unlike the native apps). It can be used across platforms without the involvement of any app store.
Hybrid application development covers elements and features of both native and web apps with the usage of a particular framework.
4. Critical Cyber Security over Data Breach
With the increase in the number of cyber-attacks and losses that businesses suffered, cybersecurity is something that is in most demand. Robust security measures in your software development will protect you from information leaks, fraud, malware, phishing, ransomware, and other cyber-attacks. Cybersecurity acts as armor for online business.
According to Puppet’s State of DevOps Report, 45% of the organization with full integration of cybersecurity can fix the critical vulnerabilities.
5. Immersive experiences gain popularity
Digital reality is something that we are already aware of and isn’t a brand new concept. However, with the lockdown and scarce of real-world experiences, digital reality gained popularity with the help of AR and VR.
MR – the combination of both AR and VR has made it possible to travel across the world while staying at home. It has also stimulated the training and skill learning via digital platforms, and last but not least is the shopping experience. The immersive experiences have made online shopping easier.
6. low code platforms – an emerging trend
Yes, you heard that right. The introduction of low code platforms is one of the emerging trends in software development. Why is it so? Its main function is low coding so that a developer with the minimum knowledge about coding can crack their own software development.
For example, Parabola is an automation platform designated to automate software development with the drag-and-drop and easy-to-use interface. Amazon Honeycode helps streamline the process of creating apps for simple tasks or event management.
7. 5G is reinventing the network
5G is the newest technology that will help in growth for many industries. It is a technical enabler for IoT and other future tech products. While 4G consumes more resources and shortens battery life, 5G is expected to offer lower latency, greater bandwidth availability, and better data security. With the help of 5G, the developers will be able to develop more powerful apps and that too at a faster speed.
8. Run cost as architecture fitness function
Last but not least is the architecture fitness function. When doing software development includes processes like Agile methodologies and DevOps which leads to changes in cloud infrastructure and services management.
The concept of “run cost as architecture fitness function” is introduced by the Thoughtworks in Technology Radar. It includes continuous monitoring of the cost as a fitness function.
Hence, if you are planning to get the software developed for your enterprise to manage the services and products. Go with the developer that is aware of these trends and promises to implement them. We would suggest contacting PerceptionSystem – an enterprise software development company that has 10+ years of experience in this field.