Job search websites have revolutionized the hiring process in the recruitment industry. No printed classified, no advertisement in the newspaper, and no extra movements, the job seeker is just a click away from getting his desired job.
For the employers, job portals cut out the hassle for in-person interviews of all the applicants. Employers can yield enormous benefits from job portal features to streamline the hiring process. Indeed, job portals have filled the gap between job seekers and employers in the best way ever, as 60% of the users benefit from job boards.
A few giant job portals are ruling the world of the recruitment industry, Indeed, and Glassdoor, for instance. Indeed.com is the most visited platform and is ideal for quick job queries, while Glassdoor focuses on high-skilled technical jobs. However, many opponents differ by location, features, and specialization.
It is daunting to create a personal website for job seekers and make it profitable and competitive among the market leaders. With the innovative job portal solutions, Perception System has helped many recruiters to streamline their hiring process.
Let’s find out what you should pay attention to while creating a job portal like Indeed and Glassdoor.
What is a Job Search Engine?
The job search engine is a platform where employers list their job offers and search for relevant candidates. While on the other side, job seekers post their resumes and look for the desired vacancies.
Most job search websites are free and serve as the modern platform of job ads by compiling millions of job listings available for openings and equipped with additional features including Boolean job search, resume builder, application tracking, job alert, and job save functionalities.
10 best Job Search Websites
A job search website is one of the best and most efficient ways to search for and apply ample opportunities in a particular industry. Considering the market volume, it is really huge. Apart from Indeed, there are also such employment-related giants as Glassdoor, Monster, Simply Hired, ZipRecruiter, CareerBuilder, where each of them is targeting a specific industry.
- Indeed: Best Job search engine – wins with the number of the Job listing
- Monster: Best Employment website worldwide
- Glassdoor: Employer Insights platform
- LinkedIn: Best for Connecting through social
- ZipRecruiter: Search engine for job hiring in local areas
- CareerBuilder: Sharing largest market in online employment
- Jooble: Jobs Aggregator represented in 71 countries
- Simply Hired: Online recruitment advertising network
- Flexjobs: Best job site for work from home and flexible jobs opportunities
- LinkUp: Highest-quality index of global job listings website
- CareerBank: Best site focusing on jobs in the finance sector
- LawJobs: Ideal for searching candidates for law jobs
(Graph showing hiring rates of online job searches across the US)
Analyzing Indeed and Glassdoor for a Better Perspective on Job Boards
Founded as the job listing website, Indeed is the biggest job portal globally, used in 60 countries and available in 28 languages. Glass door incepted as the company review website, it turns gradually into a job portal, making it the biggest rival of Indeed.
When it comes to following the features of a job portal, you need to analyze,
- How do they work?
- How many unique visitors do they have?
- How many resumes uploaded by applicants?
- What are their reviews?
- How many job listings do they have?
Understanding Job Boards from a Competitive Edge
To build a presence in any industry, it is necessary to analyze the competition. The recruitment industry holds massive competition due to a vast number of online job search sites post-pandemic. If you want to create a job portal like Indeed, you need to do thorough research on competitive websites and their features. Check out different websites like Monster, Craigslist, Dice, CareerBank, LawJobs, Medical workers, and their specialization to better understand job portals and their work to stand out from the competition.
What to look for in these Job Search Websites?
Creating a job search website like Glassdoor and Indeed requires understanding its basic features, specialization, and technical aspects. We recommend considering the following the below aspects for making a job search engine.
Selecting the Major Features
While creating a personal website for a job search, you must consider several essential features for employers and job seekers. Here’s how you can implement the essential feature into the job board.
- Company profile
- Job posting
- Resume search
- Search filters
- Resume uploading
- Job search bar
- User account/Profile
Make it Different from Competitors
You don’t want to add another job portal that has the same essence. You must be innovative when it comes to seamless user experience, intuitive user interface, mobile-first approach, and a well-maintained job portal.
Here’s how you can stand out of the competition through our advanced job portal solutions, including the latest recruitment trends like:
- Resume parsing
- Advanced search for employers
- Application tracking system
- Video resume uploading
- Virtual conferencing
How to Divert Traffic to your Job Portal?
You need to create several marketing strategies to divert traffic towards your job portal website. Here’s how you can do it efficiently.
- Industry-specific job board: Make your job board targeting a specific industry like the aviation industry, the education industry, the healthcare sector, and so on. Professionals who are interested in specialized talents will divert towards your job portal.
- Make it free: Allow employers and job seekers to experience your premium services free of charge for a particular period. You can charge a minimal fee afterward to retain their attention.
- Connect with other job boards: if you don’t have a job listing, you can borrow it from the other job boards. This affiliate program will help you to direct traffic towards your job board.
Considering the Technical Aspects Behind Job Search Engines.
Surely, there are many ways to create a job portal like Indeed and Glassdoor. Still, the primary consideration is to go for custom job portal development or prefer the standards aspects. When considering the technical aspects, the job board website builders may sound cheap, but they come with only basic website features. Your job portal will require advanced and more sophisticated features.
It is very challenging to remodel your website if website builders create it. Furthermore, you need to provide security when it comes to uploading massive resume data from hacking.
On the other note, the cost of custom job portal development may seem exclusive. You will get a 100% flexible, secure and scalable job search engine. Whether you are a start-up or a successful enterprise, you must choose custom development right from the start.
What Revenue Models do Job Portals Adopt?
The revenue from job portals can vary from website to website. According to the latest research, job portals received most of their income from duration-based job posting, while general websites make the most by pay-per-click. Job portals don’t charge any fee from job seekers, but it charges to employers. Here’s are some interesting facts on how job boards make money.
- 40% of job board revenue comes from the duration-based job listing
- 50% of Indeed’s revenue is outside the U.S.
- 20% of the income of Glassdoor is from outside the U.S.
- 40% of job search engine revenue of Employer & Jobseeker for a monthly membership.
- 20% of the supplement income comes from featured posting, advertisement, and services like download CV templets, etc.
(Figures showing consolidated revenue of Recruit Holdings Annual report 2019 through HR technology, media and staffing through Indeed and Glassdoor) Source: Recruit Holdings
There are many ways how job portal websites earn revenue. Here we have listed a few points for your consideration.
This is the most common way to get revenue. But every job board has its own rules. Indeed enables users to post an unlimited job listing. At the same time, Glassdoor charges $225 depending on the number of posts and their visibility every month.
Offering membership to regular recruiters is a sustainable source of income for the job portal. Instead of charging fees, you can offer yearly or monthly membership to them for posting X no. of jobs.
You can provide a few features of your job portal for free, but they must have to buy a premium package for advanced features. For example, the resume uploading feature is free, but to contact them directly, your users will have to spend $100 to $300 for reaching out to 50 to 200 contacts.
For an advanced facility to the premium clients, you can sponsor their job post. You can regulate the budget of sponsored posts between 5 cents to $2 per click or sloth or per day, depending on your criteria.
Career Services Fees
You can provide professional consulting to job seekers to achieve their dream job better. You can charge career service fees at the minimum cost of $200 per resume, along with career development specialists.
(Image showing Indeed and its competitors have raised over $6.9 billion between their estimated 808.9K employees) Source: Owler
How to create a Job Portal like Indeed, Monster, and Glassdoor: 5 Solutions
Now that you have seen the various revenue models, now let’s take a look at the five solutions that will enable you to create a job portal like Indeed and Monster.
Solution #1. Off-the-shelf Readymade Job Board Product (like madgex, JOBIQO)
Off-the-shelf job boards are ready-made products. You just need to buy it. The job board management platforms like Madgex, JOBIQO, and ZipRecruiter offer ready-to-use job board products as opposed to custom software that is designed for a specific purpose. For instance, Microsoft office is an off-the-shelf software.
- Easily available online at job board management platforms
- Affordable when compared to custom software
- Easy usability, as you can install it immediately.
- A limited set of features that might not cater to every requirement of your hiring process.
- Modification is not allowed after purchase.
- As a readymade solution, it is easily available to your competitors.
Solution #2. Cloud Solutions Job Board Software as a Service (smart job board, monster tms)
Job portal vendors like Russmedia job board, SmartJobBoard, Recooty, Monster TMS offer cloud-based job board solutions with just a click. You can use the software as a service without worrying about hosting and upgrades.
- No coding and technical skills required
- No need to spend extra costs on hosting and upgrades
- The price is lower than custom software development.
- No hustle for maintenance and support as they are under the software provider.
- Zero customization. You cannot integrate banding elements and your own features.
- No rights. The service provider only gives you the platform to use at a particular fee. You don’t have any rights.
Solution #3. Content Management Systems (Drupal, WordPress)
The next way to build a job board platform is to use content management systems like Drupal, WordPress, Joomla. These CMS platforms offer themes, plugins, and maintenance that will give you the ability to create a website like Indeed.
- Avail benefits of custom and third-party plugins
- Lots of support from communities
- Free and paid themes available
- Customization available as per your branding
- Easy to use back-end for website maintenance
- Technical know-how is required to fix bugs and crashes
- Low compatibility when it comes to adding themes and plugins from other systems.
Solution #4. Job Board Ready PHP Script
Job board-ready PHP script is a web-based software that can be used to create powerful and modern job portals. Unlike off-the-shelf readymade job boards, it offers various features for employers.
- Mobile-friendly job portals
- Custom plugins and themes
- Advanced administration panel
- Technical skills required to fix bugs
- A bit expensive when compared to cloud-based job portals.
Solution #5. Custom Software Development
Custom software development is the ideal way to build a job website like Indeed and yet having all the benefits and features of your company. You need to hire a custom software development team to build an employment platform.
- Highly scalable architecture for future development
- Minimal investment to verify your business idea
- Custom UX and UI design to stand you out from competitors
- This job board solution is more expensive than the rest of the solutions.
- It requires two to three months of development.
The fact is, there are thousands of job portal websites in the world, and you can always try to find a specific urge to offer your solution. As you can see, you don’t have to invest in a feature-rich job portal, you simply need to do thorough research, focus on your marketing ideas and bring in traffic.
As your site gets more and more impact, you will be able to improve your job portal performance with advanced features that will enable you to scale up for larger enterprises and more industries.
At Perception System, our developers have experience in creating seamless application tracking systems, HRMS, and virtual conferencing for your job portal development requirements.